Russian troops remaining in Syria can fight terror attacks on bases: Kremlin
Story Code : 695958
“That contingent that remains, the military infrastructure that remains, at the Hmeimim and Tartus military bases, they are completely capable of fighting these occasional terrorist acts,” Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin’s spokesman, said in a conference call on Tuesday.
Peskov’s comments came a day after Russia’s Defense Ministry said its troops had successfully repelled multiple drone attacks launched by militants on its naval and air bases in Syria on January 6.
According to the ministry’s report, 10 combat drones raided the Hmeimim Airbase in Syria’s western coastal Province of Latakia, while three more attempted a strike against the Russian maritime logistics base located in the western city of Tartus, Syria’s second largest port city.
Russia has been conducting air raids against terrorist outfits in Syria at the Damascus government’s request since September 2015.
President Vladimir Putin made a surprise visit to Syria last month where he ordered the start of a pullout of Russian troops and held talks with President Bashar al-Assad.
Following the announcement, a group of Russian troops deployed to Syria has returned home.
The crews of Tupolev Tu-22M3 long-range bombers also returned to an operational airfield in North Ossetia and later flew to their permanent bases.
Putin’s decision came a few days after he declared a "complete victory" over Daesh on both banks of the Euphrates River in Syria and stressed the significance of switching to a political process to ultimately end the crisis in the Arab country.