Yemeni drone strikes military base of Saudi mercenaries in Jawf
Story Code : 768710
Spokesman for YemeniArmed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree said early on Wednesday that Yemeni soldiers and their allies attacked Saudi mercenaries in the Suwaiqa base, which lies in the al-Yatma area of the province, Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.
The report added that the airstrike left a large number of Saudi-sponsored militiamen dead and injured.
The development came shortly after Yemeni army snipers fatally shot four Saudi soldiers in the kingdom's southwestern Jizan region, in retaliation for the Riyadh regime's ongoing military aggression against the impoverished country.
A Yemeni military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Yemeni troops and fighters from Popular Committees raided several military camps in the Jahfan district of the region, targeting the Saudi soldiers.
Yemeni military units also launched a domestically-developed Zelzal-1 (Earthquake-1) ballistic missile at a gathering of Saudi soldiers in Raqabah area of Asir region in Saudi Arabia.
Separately, scores of Saudi soldiers and their allies lost their lives and sustained injuries when Yemeni forces struck their positions in al-Madrassa village of Saudi Arabia’s southwestern border region of Najran.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating military campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the aim of bringing the government of Hadi back to power and crushing Ansarullah movement.
According to a new report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.
The Saudi-led war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.
A number of Western countries, the US and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.