Yemeni forces target Saudi base in Najran region with ballistic missile
Story Code : 725099
Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, citing an unnamed military official, reported that the King Faisal military base had been targeted with a short-range Badr-1 missile on Tuesday afternoon, adding that the projectile had hit the designated target with high precision.
The development came hours after Yemeni soldiers and Popular Committees fighters launched a short-range Zelzal-2 (Earthquake-2) missile at a gathering of Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to Yemen's resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the al-Ghayl district of Yemen’s northern province of al-Jawf.
Also on Tuesday, two people lost their lives and as many were injured when Saudi fighter jets struck two cars as they were travelling along a road in the Kitaf wa al-Boqe'e district of the mountainous northwestern province of Sa’ada.
A civilian also sustained injuries when Saudi border guards opened fire to ward off local residents of Razih district.
The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured since March 2015.
The United Nations says a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.
A high-ranking UN aid official recently warned against the “catastrophic” living conditions in Yemen, stating that there was a growing risk of famine and cholera there.
“People's lives have continued unraveling. Conflict has escalated since November driving an estimated 100,000 people from their homes,” John Ging, UN director of aid operations, told the UN Security Council on February 27.
Ging said cholera had infected 1.1 million people in Yemen since last April, and a new outbreak of diphtheria had occurred in the war-ravaged Arab country since 1982.